Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Eat. @ The Broadsheet Restaurant

166 Gertrude St, Fitzroy 3065 


The good people at Broadsheet have opened up a pop up at 166 Gertrude, which is the ground floor for a future apartment complex development.  The space is modern, open and spacious, yet subtly divided into cosier sections.  Bubs and I dropped by on one of our brunch roulette mornings. (I am so going to miss this next year when all my kidlets will be at school!)


The menu is a collaboration of notable eateries around town, which is a pretty cool concept.   The day time menu have items from the likes of Auction RoomsTop Paddock, The Kettle Black, Grainstore and  Coda.  I started off with a mocha ($4) made by beans from Small Batch, which is of "Melbournian" standard as expected.


Bubs ordered "off the menu" as he wanted apple juice instead of the the OJ ($5) on the menu.  Our friendly waitstaff kindly accommodating him with some pressed apple (and blackcurrant?) juice.


Brunch started with a Toasted Reuben Sandwich ($17) on dark rye, with corned brisket with saukraut, Swiss and Russian dressing, from Five Point Deli.  I always find reuben sandwiches a very substantial meal and this was no exception.  The pickle on the side cuts through the tasty but heavy sandwich.  There was plenty to share between Bubs and I.


I could not say no to a sweet at brunch, so I also ordered the Twice baked brioche French toast ($18) with fennel poached pears, pear and burnt caramel sorbet from the ever creative bunch at Top Paddock.  The plating is beautiful as with all their offerings, and I loved the combo of crunchy and soft, warm and cold, and of course sweetness contrasting with the slight spiciness to the pear.  


As I was paying I couldn't help drooling over the baked goodies from Tivoli Road Bakery, and took the opportunity to grab a salted caramel donut (okay, two) to go.  Come on, I can't give up a chance to grab their delicious goodies without having to cross the river!




The Broadsheet Restaurant night menu includes dishes from some of my favourite restaurants including The Town Mouse, Estelle Bistro, Coda and Huxtable.  I hope I get a chance to come back for dinner before the Pop Up pops out!



Click to add a blog post for The Broadsheet Restaurant on Zomato

1 comment:

  1. Good brunch spot. Good to see they don't squash people in the big area they have. Good idea to expose people to all different cafes of Melbourne. Avocado and poached eggs were amazing. Shame it's only temporary but glad I tried it before it shut today. Great work guys! https://www.chandlersboise.com/

    ReplyDelete