Sunday, September 9, 2012

Batch #20 - Blueberry and Anpanman Kaya Macaron


So this was going to be a post about BLACKCURRANT macarons because I was going through a craze for blackcurrant flavoured things.  A local cafe stocked Macarons by Josephine and even though I try not to buy them since making my own macarons, I could not resist and used to indulge in the blackcurrant ones whenever I was there for a coffee.


We decided to try and make a version of the blackcurrant macarons by boiling down some ribena and making a ganache out of it.  Hubby usually does the boiling down of fruit syrups for me but on this occasion the syrup was heated for a bit too long and we ended up with a ribena caramel!  I still made a ganache out of it but didn't like the flavour much.  In the end I only filled a handful of macarons with it and ended up making a blueberry white chocolate ganache instead for the rest.  On a more positive note I thought this batch of macarons produced the most uniformly sized shells and petite feet out of all the ones I've ever baked.


I also left some macronage uncoloured and made some Anpanman macarons by filling them with store bought Kaya for my nephew's birthday, which turned out pretty well I must say considering the minimal effort that took!



8 comments:

  1. Omg Kaya filling!! Now, why I haven't I had one with that before. You really are the macaron queen, Winnie. You honestly make the most perfect batch of macarons. Am sure they taste lovely. Hopefully I'll muster the courage to attempt them myself too... Oooooooone day haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really great, so uniform and such nice feet! Oh and your nephew's a lucky boy. Mmmmmm kaya macarons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said it so many times to you but I'm going to say it again your MACARONS are AMAZING :) totally picture perfect and I'm sure they're even nicer to eat~ so jealous, the feet are so nice, they have such smooth shells and I love the fillings :D

    SIGHHH really need to try again and maybe one day hehe my macarons will be nice too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too awesome! Kowtow to the Macaron Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your macarons are incredible and I'm super-impressed because my attempts at macarons have been appalling. Such major fails. I would love to try these. Blackcurrant is a wonderful flavour xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha wow, those Anpanman macarons are insane!! And kaya! :)~

    ReplyDelete