Monday, September 9, 2013

Eat. @ Bowery to Williamsburg

16 Oliver Lane, Melbourne CBD 3000 ph : (03) 9077 0162


Question : How can you tell you're a parent of little kids?
Answer : When you start taking public transport "for fun"!


On one such "joy ride" around town, Bubs and I hopped off the tram a few stops too early from our destination and ended up at this cool American food-themed cafe from the good people behind the fantastic Hardware Societe.  A happy misadventure as I'd been quite keen to try the goodies from here!  Fortunately I was not disappointed.

I took a detour from my usual mocha to try the peanut butter hot chocolate ($5), served in a cute crumpled paper-look-alike cup.  This actually surprised me with its pleasant chocolatey peanut buttery taste that wasn't too sweet or over powering.  


We were brunching at 11:15am which meant I got to look at the breakfast menu, and could also check out the lunch menu that starts at 11:30am.  The lunch menu had a variety of classic american sandwich fillings like The Reuben and the Lox Bagel, and I would love to have given one of those a try!


However Bubs was quite hungry so we went for the Lox on Latkes ($17) from the breakfast menu, which was served with heirloom tomatoes, pickled fennel, creme fraiche and poached eggs.  I really liked this dish, with its perfectly poached eggs and interesting and contrasting flavours and textures.  


The Lox dish was quite filling, but I'd had my eye on the pretty key lime pie ($5) sitting in the window counter as I walked in, so we got that as a take away.  I'm no expert on key lime pies but I'd definitely catch public transport, or get there any way I can to have another one of these!


Since we travelled on the tram I didn't have my pram with me.  The main part of the eatery is actually in the semi-basement of the building in this little laneway and pram access would be difficult as you have to go down a small flight of stairs.  However they do have tables outside on the street level which would be perfect for those with prams or furry friends in tow.

Quite possibly the best misguided tram ride I've ever taken!

Bowery to Williamsburg on Urbanspoon

1 comment: