Monday, March 4, 2013

Eat. @ Wonderbao

Literature Lane, Melbourne CBD ph (03) 9654 7887



I know we're really late hopping on the "Bao" train, but we finally got our groove on and tried out Wonderbao, in the RMIT precinct up towards the top our city.  Confession : I was never a fan of the "bao" when I used to go to yum cha as a kid.  I always found the "bread" to be bland and boring (obviously not a carb fan when I was young!), and never had an appreciation for any of the fillings.  It takes a bit to change me from my set opinions but Wonderbao has certainly made me think twice!


There always seems to be a long line in front of this little shop, with queues of people grabbing a quick bite on the go.  We were lucky to get a seat along the bench at the shop front.   As soon as we were seated the friendly staff brought our "baos" out.  First up the Roast Pork Belly Gua Bao ($3.8 each).  I know you've heard it before, but "Bao Wow"!  I really liked this combo of thickly sliced pork belly with a refreshing carrot and cucumber combo in hoisin sauce.  The bun itself was actually soft, and not at all heavy or doughy; perfectly complementing the heavier meat filling!


The Braised Pork Belly Gua Bao ($3.8) was slightly heavier but equally delicious.


Being less adventurous with Chinese food, Macaron Monster went for the good old Cheung Chay Bao ($2) with the chinese sausage.  Hubby topped up his meal with a traditional Char Siu Bao ($2) filled with BBQ pork.  Both were above the standards of the offerings out of a dim sum cart at yum cha.




One "bao" I've always loved is the custard bun.  Okay I'm biased as I'm a fan of custard in any shape or form.  The Nai Wong Bao ($1.7) filled with egg custard was one of the better ones I've had around Melbourne.


For drinks there's a fridge full of Yeo's drinks in different flavours.  Cheekily advertised as F.O.B drinks! ($1.6)


Or you can try their homemade soya milk ($2.8).  We had ours cold as it was a hot day, but you can order it as a warm drink.


Wonderbao offers a quick pit stop for those after a cheap snack.  Order a few items and you've got yourself a budget smorgasbord for lunch!  The shop is small so it's hard to get a seat, especially with a pram, so line up, buy your food and eat it outside like everyone else!   Eating Chinese street food whilst soaking up the graffiti-ed laneway ambience?  That is so essentially Melbourne nowadays!

Wonderbao on Urbanspoon

Toilet and Highchair - No

4 comments:

  1. Ahh love this place! Pity it's too far away from me for lunch hour :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY you made it Wonderbao :) I really like their baos you didn't try the Taro bao that was my FAVE hehe! Wish they had another store and was closer to me ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly is cheap! Those prices are amazing. I love the look of the one with the pork - looks so delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really want to try this place... sigh.. one day! Do love my baos

    ReplyDelete