Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Eat. @ Industry Beans

Unit 2, Corner Fitzroy Street and Rose Street, Fitzroy 3065 ph (03) 9417 1034


Brunching with Hubby last week we visited Industry Beans in Fitzroy.  I'd previously been with Bubs but it was Hubby's first visit.  This coffee roaster serves up some excellent coffee, great brunch and has a wicked time with coffee alchemy.



The fit out is warehouse cool, with a couple of long tables for sharing and some smaller, higher tables with stools for smaller parties.  Each time I've been the staff have been accommodating with small children and prams, which is lovely to see.



The mochas ($3.8) we had were lovely and smooth as expected.



Hubby ordered the Salmon Souffle ($18) which was twice baked, and served with salmon skin, caper berries and a kale and frisee salad.  I don't usually like savoury souffles but this was very light and fluffy and the salmon worked surprisingly well with it.  And it was a very pretty dish!



I ordered the Industry Charcuterie ($21), which is of course the perfect type of brekkie for me, with a bit of this and a bit of that!  The "bits" here are : 

1) coffee and molasses cured duck bacon - my favourite bit, and duck bacon is a bit exotic even for Fitzroy!
2) tea marbled eggs and salt cured yolks - the whites are not bad but the salty kick from the yolks was a standout
3) citrus cured salmon - pleasant but citrusy enough for me!
4) goats cheese - nice but quite heavy and I couldn't finish it all.
5) fennel fronds - I didn't particularly love this part, especially the jelly bits on top
6) relish - which gave this dish the tart edge it needed to balance out some of the heavier tasting components, and last and not least,
7) brioche crisps - a good mix of sweet and crunchy, I could eat lots more of that!

All in all a good "tasting plate" of interesting breakfast-y bits and I quite enjoyed it.



The table next to us ordered a burger dish which came with lots of veggie chips and I was happy to see that you could order a side of Vegie Chips with smoked paprika aioli ($6).  Which of course was crispy and yummy and more-ish and I could hoodwink myself into thinking I'm having vegetables and they're healthy (hehe!).



You can also get some interesting and fun coffee "dishes" and on a previous visit I had tried out some latte pearls ($3) which are like the pearls in Asian bubble teas but these are made from the good coffee at Industry Beans.  You can also get cold drip caviar, coffee toffee and aeropress jelly!



At the end of the meal you can always buy some of the beans and tea to take home for another dose of Industry Beans.  I enjoyed our visits to Industry Beans and it is definitely on our list of great places to brunch around Melbourne.



Industry Beans on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like they have some interesting menu options, I quite like the fitout too. Great to hear they're kid/pram friendly (all too rare).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went there last week - great coffee and its a shame I missed the veggie chips!
    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete