Friday, February 1, 2013

Cook @ Home - Orange Madeleines


So my instagram followers would have seen lots of photos of my madeleines, as I became a bit obsessed with these little delicate French cakes over the course of last year.  Finally here is the recipe I use most often.   I found this recipe a while ago from Le Delicieux and it's my absolute favourite one as a) it's so easy and b) these madeleines are so light and delicious!  I love making the batter the day ahead when I'm expecting guests, then after dinner I just grab my bowl of batter, fill the pans, bake the madeleines, and have impressive little cakes to serve with a cup of tea for dessert!  




Orange Madeleines

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup plain  flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup of caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • finely grated zest of 1 orange
  • 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 80g of butter, melted

Method:
1) Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside
2) Using the whisk attachment,  add the sugar and orange zest to the mixer bowl and mix on the lowest setting until the sugar and zest are well combined (sugar becomes slightly orange!)
3) Add the eggs and whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture becomes light and fluffy
4) With the mixer at its lowest setting, gently add the flour and vanilla extract, and mix until just combined
5) Add the melted butter and orange juice and again mix until just combined
6) Cover the bowl with glad wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours (overnight if possible)
7) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (355 Fahrenheit)
8) Grease your madeleine pan (I use butter), and fill with the batter to 2/3 full. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked
9) Dust with icing sugar and serve


They are really quite easy and are soooooo very good with a cup of tea!


The trick to the pretty shell shaped is in the special madeleine pans which are quite readily available at most kitchenware sellers.


Filling the pan to 2/3 full will yield little delicate cakes.



Some people don't like the "hump" on their madeleines, others say it's not a true madeleine unless there's a hump!
Tips - 

  • Madeleines are best eaten whilst warm, so take them out of the tin, cool slightly on a rack and serve them up straight away
  • I use my KitchenAid to whip these up but it can easily be adapted for the Thermomix

7 comments:

  1. You're madeleines look soooo pretty! I'd love to pop one of them in my mouth now ~ Last time I made them...they weren't that good and I'm blaming my silicon pan so this time going back to HK i bought a tin one, will have to try your recipe soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah wah wah!!! These are like the best things ever and I've never actually had orange madeleines before. Although, I think I'd enjoy this more because (dont shun me for saying), but I actually love oranges more than lemons. These are perfect! Bake for me prease???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made orange flavoured Madelines but I love the idea of making the batter in advance so you can present the warm treat with tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuuuum. And gee, you're organised making the batter the day before you have guests over. :) My usual mode of operation is to avoid thinking about cooking/baking until the day and then proceed into panic mode (which is always unnecessary because I always end up with more than enough time).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are gorgeous! I haven't had orange mads before but they look fab! You're right about having them warm - totes delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many good things about madeleines but to be honest, I've never had them before :S time to rectify that methinks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haven't made madelines in ages!! waaaant!

    ReplyDelete