Saturday, September 22, 2012

Eat. @ Lil Boy Blue

309 High Street, Kew 3101 ph (03) 9583 5003



Lil Boy Blue is an "all day eatery" that opened up in Kew recently.  I had visited 3 times already within weeks of its opening but haven't blogged about it for an extremely selfish reason - it's fast become one of my favourite places to eat out and I wanted to keep it as a secret and therefore always get a table with no queues! *evil laugh*



My first visit was for a quick stop with Bubs after we shopped at Leo's around the corner. We sat in the front part of the cafe.  Bubs got to sit in a funky new wooden highchair whilst I enjoyed my mocha in a cute Ecology "not a paper cup".   



I opted for the brioche bun filled with pulled pork shoulder, mustard pickles, truffle pecorino & wilted spinach  ($12).  Pulled pork and brioche go together so well, this lovely slider hit the spot for a quick brunch perfectly.



I popped back for a coffee with my friend S without any of our children for my next visit and had a lovely breakfast. 



 I had my usual mocha whilst S enjoyed a latte.



ordered the  poached & crumbed eggs with trio of mushrooms, soldiers, salsa verde, pickled capsicum & goat’s curd ($16) and kindly shared some with me (for the sake of the blog of course!)  The egg cooked 2 ways was delicious in itself but made for an impressive dish with all the other elements.



I tried their salmon gravlax with potato & zucchini fritters, poached egg, mustard, dill & crème fraiche sauce ($17), and even though I didn't think it was as spectacular as the crumbed and poached egg, the dish was a very decent breakfast dish.



I finally got a chance to bring the whole gang here one Saturday afternoon.  I rang ahead to make a reservation and warned them about the kids and I was told they would hold a table  out the back for us, but as the tables and stools were higher than those out front the high chair would sit lower than the rest of us.  It was nice that they told us ahead, but fortunately we had timed it so that Bubs would be asleep in the pram (*more evil  laughing*) so it didn't pose a problem.



I was quite excited that we'd get to try the lunch.  We shared a few menu items because I ready had my eye on dessert!  It was a pork belly (read COLD) kind of day so we had the  pork belly cooked twice with sweet corn puree, caramelised apple, charred baby leeks, preserved lemon & caper dressing.  The pork belly was really delicious and my only complaint was that the serving was a bit small for the price. 



Mini Me was really keen on some soup, so we ordered the Seafood Bisque from the specials of the day.  I don't usually likely seafood soup but this one one was very pleasant and had a lovely flavour without being too fishy.  The crunchy toasted bread was great for dipping into the rich soup.



We again ordered the pulled pork brioche so Hubby can try it, and also tried their BLT slider ($8)  This was yummy but I still preferred the pulled pork!



Finally it was dessert time!  I'd had my eye on the turkish delight doughnuts with cinnamon ice cream & Allpress espresso syrup.  Fried little balls of dough with melted turkish delight, served with a little jar containing the ice-cream and a pour-over of sweet espresso syrup was a perfect end with lunch.  



We enjoyed ours with a pot of tea.



As you can tell by the number of times I'd visited and the number of pictures I've taken that I quite like this place! The staff were friendly and helpful at each of my visits and the food is  simple yet interesting.  A fantastic (and different!) addition to Kew providing all day food and drink.  Don't fight me for a table when you visit please!



Lil Boy Blue on Urbanspoon

Toilet - yes, and large enough for a pram to fit
High chair - yes, great for the front dinning area but would be too low for the tables in the back.

7 comments:

  1. That burger looks absolutely delicious, the perfect amount of crunch with the fresh salads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me a brioche bun. When I thought it couldn't get any better, you go and tell me about dessert! BAM those sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG ! you're secret is out now WInnie :) I am DEFINITELY going to make an effect to try Lil Boy Blue out ASAP ~ everything looks sooooo delicious! Especially the pulled pork brioche! I've been craving for pulled pork lately hehe and the little donuts with the ice-cream in the jam jar! Too yummy to say no! YAY! Can't wait to go! Thanks for introducing it to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great menu! That breakfast looks like something I would def order. I love the cheeky print ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!??! Poached eggs THEN deep fried?!??! Oh Lordy... That just made my knees go weak. SO much great choices in this cafe (and how cute is the name, huh?). Don't hate me for saying this, but I've always preferred lunch options over brekkie. So I'd love to come here for that. But, but... Deep fried poached egg...................... HOWWW???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a quite little place! I can understand why you wanted to keep this to yourself :P Hopefully it won't become to busy when I find a chance to try out those eggs done two ways !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to go here for ages! I reckon those turkish delight doughnuts alone are worth the visit

    ReplyDelete